September is Attendance Awareness month.
Did you know that:
- children with good attendance generally achieve higher grades?
- the more days of school a student misses, the lower their grades are?
- dropout patterns in high school are linked to poor attendance beginning in kindergarten?
- lessons are planned sequentially, so when your student is absent, they will miss building blocks and concepts they need to succeed?
- our school budget is affected by your student's absences?
What you can do to help:
- help your child get to school ON TIME every day
- check homework
- take an active role
- locate potential sources of anxiety
- try to limit the amount of school your child misses due to medical appointments or illnesses
- schedule family events with your child's school schedule in mind
- plan ahead
- promote good health through diet and exercise
- create a restful environment at home
This year's PTA Reflections theme is: Let Your Imagination Fly! That's a GREAT theme for unleashing your creativity.
Students can enter in many different categories, from photography to dance choreography.
Please see the green flyer going home on Tuesday for more information. Contact Leilani Austria at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Phonics Emergency Alert!
I have discovered that many students in Mrs. Quitt's Cool Kids are having difficulty with phonics. That is, when given a list of words to sort into appropriate categories, MANY of them are unable to do so.
Students should be able to EASILY identify long and short vowel sounds. They should be able to EASILY determine how many syllables are in any word. These are FIRST GRADE skills.
Why is phonics important?
Phonics helps students decode unfamiliar words, so it helps with reading skills. Phonics helps students spell, so it helps with writing skills.
Please be sure your student can do these skills. Some websites to help you out: Fast Phonics, Scratch Garden, and StarFall are just some of the online resources available. Google Phonics for Kids to see many more resources. Some are free, others have a fee.