Last day to order for January is Wednesday, January 27.
Congratulations to Sidney, Luke, and Benson who have already made their AR goals for the second trimester!!
The following students are on track to make their goal by the March 4 deadline: Bridget, Brian, and Sonia.
Many students are below the required 85% correct on the quizzes; others are less than halfway to their point goal. The main reasons you may be having difficulty meeting the accuracy and/or point goal are: 1) you are not reading your books carefully enough and asking yourself questions while you are reading, or 2) perhaps your book level is too high and you are having difficulty following the story, or 3) you have not been taking your books HOME with you to read. To assist students in meeting your AR goals, I have adjusted your reading levels so you will have more success with accuracy and comprehension.
Our new writing genre is Personal Narrative. A personal narrative is a story starring YOU as the main character. The story should be something that happened in your life, and should be written in the first person (using "I" and "me").
Stories should have a beginning, middle, and end. They should include a setting (when and where the story takes place).
We will be learning to make our writing sparkle by
• using sentence variety
• using transition phrases such as first, next, then
• using vivid descriptive language (lots of adjectives)
• using interesting vocabulary. Did you know that there are over 100 ways to say "said?" Click here for a list.
• using quotation marks to show dialog
Students who would like to earn a "4" (advanced) will also:
• use figurative language such as similes (as red as cherries), onomatopoeia ("swish, swish," "plop," "tick-tock"), and alliteration ("She sat by the babbling brook.")
• include higher level vocabulary
• include more complex sentence structure
• include more details and description
• write a lengthier narrative
Our class will be performing a folklórico dance in the talent show on Friday, February 26th! We will be performing during the two school time "dress rehearsals" at 9:15 a.m. and 11:20 a.m., as well as the evening show for families at 6:00 p.m.
I sure hope you will be able to come view one of these shows to watch our talented students!
Also, I hope that all of our students will be able to perform in the evening show. I know that it will not be possible for all of you to join us, but it is SO MUCH FUN.
We will have some kind of accessories or outfit for the class; please stay tuned for more info.