Summer Curriculum Correspondence
It is already that time of the year to start thinking about the summer. It is vital that each student retains and even improves academic skills during the summer weeks. The jump to third grade is a very significant one.
If your student participates in the Summer Correspondence program, each week for 6 weeks during the summer, your student will receive a packet to help him/her maintain grade level skills. If they finish all of the packets and return the completed cover sheet when school restarts in August, they earn a recognition.
If you would like your student to participate in this summer's Curriculum Correspondence program, please send in six (6) number 10 (that's legal sized) envelopes. Each envelope must have postage affixed. Each envelope must have your mailing address and your student's name. Each envelope should have your mailing address as the return address. Turn the envelopes in to your child's teacher.
We are starting Unit 7, Arrays, Partitioned Rectangles, and Equal Shares, this week. Please see the informational letter sent home on Monday for more specific info.
In this unit, students should be able to arrange items in rectangular arrays and partition rectangles into equal shares. Use the paper Square-Inch Tiles sent home Monday for practice.
Students should be able to:
• easily identify and know the difference between columns and rows
• measure a rectangle and draw lines to partition it into square centimeters or square inches
• partition a rectangular array into halves, thirds, and fourths
• partition a rectangular array by measuring in square centimeters or square inches
• fold a circle to make equal halves and fourths
• fold a rectangle into equal halves, thirds, and fourths in different ways
• solve word problems involving lengths
• use a number line diagram to add and subtract within 100
• calculate the perimeter (distance around) of a shape